Providing Complete Home Security Solutions Nationwide
Welcome to our blog

Exposure to Less Than 2% Carbon Monoxide Can Kill in Minutes.

February 26th, 2013

Over the weekend an elderly couple and their 40 year old daughter were found dead in their caravan in Cornwall of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Police were made aware of an issue when the elderly couple’s helper was unable to get through to them. Around 1PM on Sunday, Cornwall Fire and Rescue broke into the caravan and sadly found all three dead.

Tragic incidents like this are a harsh reminder of just how dangerous carbon monoxide can be. President and director of CO-Gas Safety, a charity which focuses on reducing the number of CO poisoning incidents, said that exposure to less than 2% of carbon monoxide can kill in the space of one to three minutes. Read the rest of this entry »

Direct Response Security Averts Another Kitchen Fire

December 24th, 2012

A Direct Response Security domestic monitored alarm system recently averted another house fire when it detected an abnormality in a kitchen’s temperature and alerted Cougar Monitoring, the company which provides 24 hour monitoring for Direct Response’s alarms.

Cougar Monitoring alerted the local fire brigade which was soon there to cope with the situation. As it turned out, it was probably a kettle that had not switched off and the kitchen was full off steam and the attendant heat that introduced.

The Direct Response customer, who wishes only to be referred to as Mr T, was initially under the impression the microwave oven in the kitchen was on fire as the room appeared almost to be in a total fog.

“We were really impressed that the Fire Brigade were almost there immediately after the alarm directly alerted them,” said Mr. T. “Although it was only steam and heat at the root of the problem, it could have been worse if an electrical fire had subsequently taken place. It’s good to know we are being looked after by an alarm system like this.” Read the rest of this entry »

Brothers Saved By Their Smoke Alarm

December 24th, 2012

Two brothers were saved from a fire which gutted their flat, by their smoke alarm.

The Fire Service were called out to their flat after an immersion heater caught fire, destroying their kitchen and damaging the rest of their property.

Watch Commander Tony Brew stated that the smoke alarm had saved their lives, “I can categorically say the two men would have died if they had not had a smoke alarm.”

Not having smoke alarms installed reduces the chances of you and your family escaping from a house fire, especially one that breaks out during the night when you are all sleeping.

Get in touch with us now to find out installing smoke alarms and protecting you and your family. You can do this by filling in the contact form on our website, calling us on 0845 331 113 or emailing us at info@drsalarms.com

Burglar Alarm Forces Thieves To Leave Empty Handed

December 24th, 2012

On Friday 7th December two thieves broke into a house in Carlton but were forced to leave empty handed after a burglar alarm went off.

We understand how devastating a break ins can be, which is why we offer monitored security systems. If your alarm is triggered our security systems use your telephone or mobile phone to send a message to an ARC. The alarm will then be investigated and a response will be initiated.

To find out more about our monitored alarm systems or to get a free assessment of your security requirements get in touch with us. You can do this by calling us on 0845 311 113, emailing us at info@drsalarms.com or filling in the contact form on our website.

Blocked Chimney Causes Fatally High Levels of Carbon Monoxide.

December 24th, 2012

A 27 year old woman was found unconscious, after being exposed to ‘fatally high’ levels of carbon monoxide in her home.

The Fire Service believed a carrier bag had been placed on the fire, which had then blocked the chimney, leading to a build-up of carbon monoxide in the room.

The woman was taken to hospital and was said to be in a stable condition.

Incidents like this are very common, and can easily be avoided by having a carbon monoxide alarm installed.

Carbon monoxide can be given off by a number of house hold appliances, with cookers and boilers being the main culprits. You aren’t able to see, smell or taste carbon monoxide, so without using an alarm there’s no way to know if there’s a leak.

To find out more about carbon monoxide alarms or our Homesafe Pack, get in touch now; you can call us on 0845 331 113, emailing us at info@drsalarms.com or filling out the contact form on our website.

Fishpond Trouble Tackled By A Direct Response Panic Button

December 21st, 2012

A Direct Response Security wireless panic button recently summoned help for a lady in distress.

The lady, who only wishes to be referred to as Mrs D, had gone out to the fishpond in her garden to feed her beloved fish.

Whilst throwing fish food flakes across the surface of the pond she took a bit of a tumble and thankfully did not fall in! She did fall heavily onto the concrete pond surround, however, and was unable to raise herself up again.
Read the rest of this entry »

Burglar Alarm Halts Break-In

December 21st, 2012

The sound of a burglar alarm was all it took to deter thieves from breaking into a house in Colchester.

The thieves tried to force a window, setting off the properties burglar alarm. They then fled the property empty handed.

Here at Direct Response Security we understand how upsetting and devastating it can be if your home is broken into, which is why we offer monitored security systems.

Our monitored systems use the phone line or mobile phone networks to alert an ARC when your alarm is triggered. The ARC are then able to verify whether the alarm is genuine and can initiate a response from the Police.

To find out more about our monitored security systems, call us on 0845 311 113, email us at info@drsalarms.com or fill in the contact form on our website.

Direct Response Monitored Alarm System Foils Thrapston Burglarly

December 21st, 2012

When you’re all at sea a monitored alarm is best…

A Direct Response Security monitored alarm system has prevented yet another burglary, this time in Thrapston, Northamptonshire.

The owner of the property, who only wishes to be identified as Mrs F., was on a ship at sea when the attempted break-in happened. Cougar Monitoring, the company which provides 24 hour monitoring for Direct Response’s alarms, tried to contact her when the alarm was triggered.
When they were unable to reach her they contacted one of Mrs F’s friends who acts as a key holder for her and her husband drove over to the property at 3am. On finding the utility room window open he immediately called the police, although this was unnecessary as they had already been notified by the monitoring station. Read the rest of this entry »

Install A Smoke Alarm – Don’t Rely On Neighbours

December 21st, 2012

On Monday 17th December Kent Fire and Rescue Services were called out a fire at a shop at 11:40pm.

The flat above the shop did not have a smoke alarm, which meant the sleeping residents were unaware of the fire.

Luckily neighbours called the Fire Service, who were able to rescue the Mother and Son, who were taken to hospital suffering from smoke-inhalation.

Incidents like this illustrate how important it is to have smoke alarms installed in your property, especially if a fire breaks out during the night. You don’t need to inhale a lot of smoke before it knocks you unconscious, a smoke alarm will alert you of a fire long before that point. Read the rest of this entry »

Direct Response Monitored Alarm System Prevents House Fire

December 21st, 2012

No butts: A Direct Response system prevents a house fire started by an un-extinguished cigarette.

A Direct Response Security monitored alarm system has prevented a house fire in Croydon, South London caused by a un-extinguished cigarette in a kitchen bin.

The householder, who only wishes to be identified as Mrs N., said she was speaking to a neighbour when she received a call from Cougar Monitoring, the company which provides 24 hour monitoring for Direct Response’s alarms, to say they had detected smoke in her property. She rushed back to her house to discover smoke coming from the bin in her kitchen, into which she had recently emptied an ashtray. Read the rest of this entry »